Re: [TCML] Quick and Cheap Toroid

Brandon,
     I actually meant the secondary size, the physical size of the coil.
 Sure a smaller coil has a larger DC resistance, but what is a few extra
ohms to a half a million volts, compared to the AC resistance of the
inductor?  I jumped on this bandwagon when my third coil (4 inch secondary)
outperformed my second coil (6 inch secondary) using fewer MOTs.  There
is nothing wrong with a big secondary, except it is more expensive, and
does absolutely nothing for performance.  I take the following approach
when I design a coil.  Know what my power can do (1.7*SQRT watts = spark
length in inches) then take that number, divide by somewhere between 2.5
and 3, gives you your secondary length (any bigger than 3 and you
risk flash-over, but it CAN be done) then use 1200 turns, at 4.5/1 H/D
ratio.  You will usually find the toriod will be bigger than the secondary
if you use this approach, but it makes for a great working and compact coil!

Scott Bogard.