Re: [TCML] Suspect component

Yeah, I have yet to dabble with solid state other than flyback drivers
myself, so I can understand that.  At any rate if you just seek a quick and
dirty 4 kV that is adjustable you can go the doubler route (like you did)
or you could use a second MOT until you figure out how to do the
ballasting.  The doubler is lighter so I can see how it is attractive.  I
think I would use a series primary (or secondary) capacitor to ballast as a
lightweight solution, adjust the size to be close to 60 Hz resonance for
maximum power, and farther away from resonance to cut it back.  I wouldn't
have any idea on how to calculate the size though, and having a bunch of
caps lying around might be costly and take up too much room.  The advice I
can offer is concerning a Jacob's ladder, when using low voltages like that
it is best to use a Gabriel electrode, as the arc can tend to get stuck
near the base.  That's about all I have unfortunately, I'm sure others will
comment!