Re: [TCML] Suspect component

Yes,

Using a bigger cap will allow you to get more current out of the system. A doubler only produces power every other half cycle, though. There's no free lunch.

However, your proposed circuit is a bit odd.

To me, it would seem best to use the two MOTs with their two cores connected to each other as a center tap, and take ~4.4 KV at ~500 mA off the two outside HV terminals. You would have to phase the primaries so the output voltages add, not subtract. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time.

You will need some robust rectifiers to make a full wave bridge rated for at least 8.8 kV each, at the rated current. However, because the rectifiers are used in an RF-rich environment, good RF bypassing, and a substantial over rating on their voltage capacity will help increase their longevity.

You will also need something to provide current limiting. If you are proposing to make a DC resonant charged TC, then an additional inductor between your HV filter cap and the tank circuit will provide the current limiting without requiring a shorted MOT on the 120 VAC side of the circuit.

I think it was Richie Burnette's site that had a lot of info on DC driven coils. I also think it was he who posted a very nice Youtube video that showed an excellent performing magnifier system that used a 4 MOT stack, DC resonant charging, and was giving impressive ~10 foot discharges. Pretty darn good for something made from five free transformers.

Dave