Re: [TCML] microbrute DRSSTC

On 1/10/2013 12:31 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
Hi Alton
I get 6" to 12" arcs. I've heard of people getting 24" arcs but I don't know how they do it.

Getting longer arcs could require any number of things. I would try these in the following order:

1) adjust the tuning. This means adding or subtracting wire from the primary 1/4 a turn at a time. Keep in mind the wire that is part of the primary that is not coiled but just goes to and from tne terminals in the board also counts.  Keep messing around until you can peak the arc size. I see from your email address that you are a ham radio operator. (I am too. I am AL3A.). Tune your coil the way you would tune a linear amp or by tuning in the swr on an hf antenna. Vary the wire length in the primary till you get a peak.

2) get a scope and measure the pulse output from the interrupter. You want 200us max on the duty cycle. But if you're not getting 200us the arcs won't get very big.  Going over 200 microseconds won't make the arcs bigger, usually, it will just draw more current.

3) raise the voltage on the over current protector slightly, but only after you've done steps one and two. That protector is what's keeping those igbts from blowing up, so be careful.

73
Joe

Sent from my iPad