[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] Secondary choices [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Secondary choices

Shane,
A long time ago DC Cox gave me some advice on a 12/30 design.
on a 4" PVC pipe, 1680 turns of #30 (around 20") was his design, so there is precedent for using a 4" pipe with a 12/30
He also used 14 942c20P15K-F caps in series for 0.017 @ 28KV as the tank cap.

Now, in my experience , a 3" PVC will do you just fine for a 12/30, At the lower power levels i find that a smaller OD and slightly taller secondary makes the sparks looks a little more impressive, but that's just me.
If you had 2 or 3 more transformers laying around, then that would be a good reason to make a bigger secondary, as you could reuse it with later coils. Granted I think I was pulling 45" arcs off of my 3" secondary at one point.

As for your coating, if you want to make it absolutely bullet proof, and are willing to make a decent jig to spin it at a constant and adjustable speed over night and spend the time to get it right. Envirotek lite epoxy, is what I started using a few years back. I will never go back to varnish. But otherwise, the basic spar varnish (clear gloss) was what I was using before I discovered the epoxy.

cheers,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."