Re: [TCML] toroids instead of spheres - why?

Em 21/08/2013 18:34, Electronic Battle escreveu:
Hello all

many years ago someone provided a very useful reference which was a document (either a paper or an excerpt from a book). I look to Antonio De Queiroz or Bert Hickman for starters but it may have been one of many similar experts.

If I remember correctly, it explained that for a given breakdown voltage, the dimensions required of a toroid to hold off that voltage meant it presented a smaller capacitive load than a sphere of equivalent hold-off (breakdown) voltage.

I can't find the reference and I have failed to locate it in the archives, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Let's try some numbers to see what happens:
The breakdown voltage of an isolated sphere is ~3 MV per meter of radius, and the capacitance of a sphere is 111 pF per meter of radius. Consider then a sphere with 2 meters of diameter, with breakdown voltage of 3 MV and 111 pf of capacitance, and let's try some toroids with the same breakdown voltage of 3 MV, starting with large diameter and ending with a toroid where the hole at the center almost disappears:
Major diameter x minor diameter -> capacitance:

8.20 x 0.5 m -> 280 pF
3.35 x 1.0 m -> 148 pF
2.86 x 1.2 m -> 134 pF
2.69 x 1.3 m -> 129 pF

The conclusion is that a toroid with the same breakdown voltage of a sphere has always GREATER capacitance than the sphere. The conclusion is reasonable, since the capacitance of an isolated conductor is directly proportional to its linear size (not to the surface area), and the breakdown voltage of the sphere is maximum for conductors with the same
maximum diameter. Any shape with the same breakdown voltage must have larger
maximum diameter, and almost surely greater capacitance.
An interesting question is if a shape can be found with the same breakdown voltage of a
sphere but less capacitance. Probably not.
The calculations are exact, with the Inca program.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz