Re: [TCML] Single MOT Coil?

Absolutely. As I had stated, my gap on my single MOT coil is a static gap.
The only way that I have found to get a reliable static gap going for MOT
voltages is to adhere to the following rules of thumb - single gap, close
spacing (not too close though), good heat sinking, and _ridiculous_ amounts
of air flow. The coil in question runs at up to about 1 kW (on high with
1.2 uF in the level shifter) and has no problems throwing hairy 24" long
streamers or slightly longer ground arcs (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzblgkmtnh8   - note I didn't take this
video, it was someone else at the 2011 Ohio Teslathon).

With that in mind, I have found two designs that work well for a MOT style
static gap - air blast and hyperbaric. An air blast gap requires an air
compressor, the hyperbaric style uses a vacuum cleaner motor. As stated
above you really need to run a single gap at these voltages. Quenching such
a beast requires that the electrodes stay cool and that you sweep the ions
away very quickly. Lots of air moving *through *copper electrodes is really
the best way to go. Also, the electrodes will erode and need to be adjusted
periodically so make sure you can easily and reliably change the gap
spacing.

On my current single MOT coil I use a hyperbaric style single static gap
that consists of a length of 4" PVC pipe which has a vacuum cleaner motor
taped to one end. The far end has a plywood cap that allows the tube to be
pressurized by the vacuum cleaner motor. There are two pieces of 3/4"
copper pipe that slide through bushings which are screwed to the PVC pipe,
directly opposed to each other. These two pieces of copper pipe almost
touch in the middle, except for a ~1.5 mm gap. This way the pressurized air
in the tube pushes the ions and eroded electrode material through the
inside of the copper pipes and vents it to the outside of the spark gap.
There are diffusers made from copper pipe tees on the outside ends of the
3/4" pipe to direct the air flow and junk away from the other coil
components (they also increase the area of copper exposed to the moving
air, and thus help cooling too).

All things considered, I will probably use a rotary gap on my next single
MOT coil (there is always a next coil). The tolerances are really not that
hard to hit for the gap spacings we are interested in here, and I have had
a much easier time using rotaries for low voltage coils. The fact of the
matter is that you CAN do it with a static gap, and not even just for small
coils. Years ago I built a larger twin MOT coil that ran 2.5 kW with a
single air blast gap (4200 volts AC, no level shifter). No problems
quenching, it was just deafening and the rotary gap that replaced it was by
far easier to get to and keep correct gap spacing.

I'll see about digging up some photos and/or making a schematic of my
little coil from the above video and conversation.

Good luck!
- Jason