Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Toroid

Hi Again Christian,
    There is no officially recognized method, which is why I promote the
pF per watt method as described in my last e-mail.  I use a 27 inch top
load with my 4*20 inch coil, yeah it looks a bit over sized, but
unfortunately super single arc performance comes from over sized top
loads.  I actually have that balanced on top of a 3.5*15 toroid, I pump in
about 2 kW and get 60 inch arcs...  When stacking top laods you just add
the capacitance, so if you want the equivalent of a 29 inch top load, use
2*14.5 inch top loads. My top loads are kind of rough, corrugated aluminum duct cover in foil tape, smoothed with a wooden roller. In my experience a
really smooth top load doesn't make much difference, as along as no points
extrude much farther than another the magnetic field is even, this is how
they can get away with chicken wire top loads.  As far as connection,
nothing special is needed, I just have the wire from the secondary touching
it, and one sits atop the other, it is fine as long as the wind does not
blow (they are quite light...)  In general I prefer a smaller secondary, I
shoot for a 4.5*1 height to diameter ratio, and a 2.5*1 spark length to
winding length ratio (using the freu formula for spark length per
wattage.)  Makes for a small but super powerful looking unit, nothing is
more underwhelming that a huge coil with small sparks, better to go for a
huge top load and tiny coil if that is what performs...  I hear tell
Richard Hull was able to coax 10 foot sparks out of a 4*13 inch coil with a
massive top load, it was a magnifier though, but still...  Go for the big
top load, get used to the look of it, you won't regret it...

Scott Bogard.