Re: [TCML] Toroid

Hi Christian,
     John pretty much answered your question, but so you have a ballpark to
shoot for...  On a typical toriod you get ROUGHLY 1 pF per inch of overall
diameter (or such has been my experience.)  And the rule of thumb for
sizing a top load is a range, take your power (1.1kW) and get the square
root (33point something) now take this value and multiply by a constant of
0.5 through 0.9 (0.5 for many smaller arcs, 0.9 for one single arc) and the
resultant figure just happens to be the size in picofarads of your ideal
top load (so 0.5 gives us 16.5, and 0.9 gives us 29.7)  I think John Freu
was the one who discoved this, and it has always proven correct for me as
well...  But at any rate, for a single arc I would shoot for a 29.7 pF top
load, which will be roughly 29.7 inches in diameter...  Why this works I
could not say, I think it is a simple product of our mathmatical system,
and just happens to work, it is not a "proper formula" where all the units
come out even in the end, but it DOES seem to work...  So I hope that sheds
some light and proves helpful!

Scott Bogard