Re: [TCML] on rotary gaps and tone wheels

On 10/23/2012 9:37 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
But Tesla Coils are essentially art. It's not like they have some practical industrial use, so it's all in the appearance, else why would people be interested in winding different shape and size coils, or use static vs rotary vs solid state gaps, etc.
Okay Jim, I guess I can understand that logic.

In days of yore (say, 10 years ago).. the peak power in a SG TC (say, discharging several tens of joules at 30kV) was higher than you'd get in a SSTC (because the pass devices can't take the peak current).

That was moons ago prior to decently sized DRSSTC's. Even my own DRSSTC which is an 8.5" diameter coil is limited to 1000Apk. Bigger DRSSTC's can do far greater than that. I know of one being limited to 3kA. When I use the term limited, I'm referring to the OCD setting which prevents the IGBT's from seeing anything higher than the OCD value.

Take care,
Bart