Re: [TCML] Science Fair Project

Hi Jim, Thanks so much for your time. I can tell you are a science fair expert!
And sorry for not getting back to you sooner. My mom works weekends and I needed

some help to understand everything you wrote. I had no idea everyone would
respond so quickly! You’ve given me a ton of information so  I am not going to
respond point by point. Instead I’d just like to say that after multiple
readings of what you wrote, I’m  thinking the spark gap is the area I’d like to
focus on.

So I’m beginning to research various types in order to make some predictions of
performance. I also have not built the coil yet so I don’t have a measurement
 for the standard spark gap. You have pointed out that I need to quantify my
prediction -- how much longer or how much more efficient. You mention measuring
coil output. Since spark length is hard to measure, would the distance the a
light bulb can be away from the coil and still receive power (light up)be a good

way to measure output?
I’m also hearing that “best” is not a result. “25% more powerful” is and that
the reason why is important. That is where I don’t know enough yet about spark
gaps to make a prediction.

I have read the information on safety and I’m looking at a battery powered coil.

Thanks again for all you help…  Jonah