Re: [TCML] Variac ballancing chokes re-visited

 My first attempt at balancing 3 16 amp variacs resulted in very unbalanced loading. As i recall when I loaded the stack to about 15 amps one supplied over 11 amps and the second about 3 and the third less than one amp. I checked this with a clamp-on amp meter.  I carefully aligned the wipers and checked the voltage at several points in the rotation and it was always less than 1 volt difference with the outputs separate. No matter how i tried it the balance was always way off.  I had no balancing chokes at the time so I tried using all three legs of a 30 volt 40amp 3 phase transformer. The output terminal being the center of the Y connection and leaving the 240 volt primary unconnected. The result was all three variacs were within a quarter of an amp of eachother. If you don't have any ready made balancing chokes handy it may be worth a try.

Scott

--- On Thu, 5/10/12, bturner@xxxxxxxx <bturner@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: bturner@xxxxxxxx <bturner@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Variac ballancing chokes re-visited
Date: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 8:03 PM

The balancing choke from what I remember acts as a common-mode rejection
ratio device. An increase in current draw on one side increases (boosts)
voltage to the other, thus re-equalizing. For two variac's, it's wired as
a 'center-tapped' transformer, so that the 'free' ends of each winding are
out of phase with each other. In fact, I've heard of folks using an old
variac core and winding their own. Usually 10-15 turns for each 'leg'. The
wiper's connect to the leg of each winding of the balance transformer, and
the combined output is via the 'center-tap'. (Factors in eddy-current
differences...) The classic diagram shows TWO transformers, however the
balancing winding is 'cross-connected' in order to place the current load
out of phase. A single center-tap design is a lot simpler!

- b