Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 3:17 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] ELECTROMETERS

I've experienced the same ever year when I run my coil outside during
Halloween.  Currently, the coil I'm using has about a 1/4 inch of epoxy
coating the surface.  Even after 1/2 hour or more after a Halloween run, the
static build-up on the surface of the coil can be startling, if you are not
prepared.  This happens year after year, and is independent of what coil I
happen to run.  I always find it a bit odd, given that the humidity around
Washington DC is usually fairly high.  I would expect the charge to bleed
off quickly.

I always wanted to know if it was always the same polarity or if it was a
positive or negative charge.  Possibly more important, why is there a
residual parasitic charge?  I speculate that it is due to the fact that the
Earth is charged with respect to the ionosphere, though I suppose that it
could also be a residual parasitic charge resulting from coronal
rectification, whatever that is.  I also wonder if other people experience
the same when they run coils indoors, or is this just something that happens
when outside?

Mike