Re: [TCML] Voltage Question

On 1/28/12 2:44 PM, Paul Nicholson wrote:
Udo Lenz wrote:
 > ...the currents in the streamermight be in the ampere region
 > so the voltage drop might well benear your guess.

Maybe. Sometimes a ball-park figure of 1pF per foot of arc is
used as an estimate of streamer load capacitance. Say a 5 foot
arc has 5pF - a topload at 300kV, 150kHz would have to push

<snip of theoretical discussion with which I generally agree>

A popular ratio is the arc length to coil length. But I don't
think the coil length matters at all here and is therefore a
poor denominator.

I think it's coupled in that it is related to inductance, and that has a lot to do with the "source impedance" feeding the C that's the top load.

One might look at spark length from particularly short or tall coils (for their topload size).

coil length might just fall out of something that establishes a "sweet spot" for spark growth in terms of topload radius of curvature (setting initial breakout voltage), topload size (setting C for low impedance charge storage), and inductance to make the whole thing resonate and couple appropriately to a spark gap primary.

Arc length to toroid minor diameter might be
an interesting one to collect data on. If there's anything to
these suggestions, a scatter plot would show a boundary curve
and that would make a valuable design guide.
--
Paul Nicholson