Re: [TCML] Variac Phase Shifting Info please

Hi Paul,

I use a small Teletype motor that's probably comparable size-wise to your
motor.  I use a 2 Amp Variac to vary the phase, with a 40uF cap.  I don't
think your use of a stepdown transformer changes anything, but I would
place the Variac/cap in the 120V circuit.  The resistor is only there to
bleed down any residual charge in the cap for personal safety, should some
bizarre failure mode occur.  The exact value is not important and does not
affect the operation of the circuit.  My SRSG web page with schematic is at
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/sync_gap.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA