Re: [TCML] Triplet three phase tesla coil

On 8/30/12 12:16 PM, BrianB wrote:
As Jim said this won't produce three phase RF. In a bipolar coil the two secondaries are180 degrees out of phase at the resonate frequency.

Ages ago when I did a Bipolar article for the TCBA a number of us tried to come up with a true
Tripolar design but never pursued it. It could probably be done with one of the solid state designs and maybe someone will have a clever idea for a spark gap Tripolar coil. If you do please let us know.

I keep thinking that there's some way to do a three phase balancing RF transformer. Think of like a "neutral forming" or "zig zag" transformer to force 3 phase balance. then you'd drive one of the primaries, and let the transformer force the other two to be in triple phase.

Or, some Delta connection of Ls and Cs to create an appropriate resonant configuration. The problem I see is that with 3Ls and 3Cs you have 3 (at least) resonances, and getting them matched is impossible.. So you want some sort of scheme that forces the 120 degree phase shift.

Greg Leyh and a couple others have used three phase mains for their DC coils. And I think Brent had a design in his book that used three phase mains to spread the power over three spark gaps ( and caps?) to increase the bang size for a conventional coil.

Yeah, there's a variety of voltage multiplier schemes that would produce this.

Regards,
BrianB

Build 3 coils, with static gaps, and power them off the three phases. The coils will fire in rotation at 360 bps total.

This isn't going to be 3phase at RF, though.