Re: [TCML] difference between 10 mA from a flyback and a low voltage PSU ?

Hi Alphonse,
I kind of see where the confusion comes from, keep one thing in mind, Ohm's law is infallible... Let me explain, when you are dealing with a flyback, it is capable of putting out 30kV, and it may be capable of putting out 10mA, but not at the same time (unless it is a ridiculously powerful flyback.) Now, ohms law, I=V/R, assume your V is 30,000, and assume your I is .01, R must be 0.000000333333333, which is seemingly just not true in real life. This is where you are, you are wondering how ohms law holds true, how 10 mA can be passed from thirty kilovolts through a person with a very high bodily resistance. The answer is it can't... What happens is current and voltage both adjust according to the resistance, which is the only real thing that is sort of fixed here. So you present 30 kilovolts to human tissue, what happens, well it starts to conduct, according to the resistance of the tissue, but immediately the core of the flyback saturates, and resistance INSIDE the flyback increases, now all of the sudden we have a series circuit of two resistors, the flyback itself, and the tissue. After a few nano seconds the circuit balances, flyback resistance eats up several kilovolts and you are left with say 3 kV conducting 10mA through the tissue, and ohms law makes sense again (I didn't actually calculate that out, it is just an example.) Now for these other devices that pass 10 mA you are talking about, they are proably current regulated, and the voltage is low so it can just barely induce 10mA in the tissue, and none is lost in the supply, a completely differant animal. No arcs, just low voltage electricity probably on large surface area pads designed to reduce the resistance, which will allow for even less voltage, which will allow for less power dissipated in the body (power = I*V) less power means less heat means no tissue damage. I hope this makes sense, a 10mA rating does not mean it will always put that out, it means it can put that out under certain circumstances, and the same goes for the voltage rating. Flyback drivers are reactive circuits, they kind of put out POWER fixed, always x amount of watts, try and draw more current with a lower resistance and the voltage drops limiting it. In reality it is more complex than that, as with no load they put out less power (much higher voltage) but as soon as you apply a load they sort of become fixed again, Say you were to dead short one, zero resistance, the current would still be 10 mA (or higher or lower depending on the flyback itself and complex variables) and the voltage output would drop to nearly 0, all 30 kV burning off as heat in the flyback itself. I hope this makes sense...

Scott Bogard.