Re: [TCML] IGBT variac dimmer?

On 9/15/11 11:35 AM, Scott Bogard wrote:
Greetings all,
      Just wondering if anybody has played with the idea of using IGBTs to
build a sort of solid state variac that would function like a dimmer
switch.  I can't imagine it would be that difficult, and IGBTs have proven
their worth in TCs, so it would just be a matter of using external
ballasting to keep the current levels acceptable for the IGBTs even at full
power.  This might actually be cheaper than trying to source super big
variacs for pole type coils, if one can find cheap used IGBTs as is
seemingly the case on eBay.  Any thoughts?

15 years ago, I built a FET dimmer for driving inductive loads along these lines. I used a bridge rectifier and put the fet between the +/- terminals, and used a 9V battery and 555 variable PWM for the gate drive.

It worked, after a fashion (555s aren't the best choice, it needs an isolated supply for the gate).. sufficient for proof of concept.

I think someone else on the list has done it to drive a TC, too.