Re: [TCML] Capacitive Discharge Pulse Mode with my VTTC

On 9/8/2011 8:55 PM, Futuret wrote:
  Roger,

Thanks, I see how you have it set up, that's an interesting approach.
Have you looked at the RF waveform on a scope to see if it ramps
up nicely?  Just an antenna type scope pickup should be OK.

Cheers,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Smith<rwsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Sep 8, 2011 9:37 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Capacitive Discharge Pulse Mode with my VTTC

On 9/7/2011 5:23 PM, Futuret wrote:

Roger,
Nice work.  It's not clear to me exactly how you applied the extra energy from
the

capacitor and series choke to the tube plate... how the SCR was arranged
circuit-wise to feed in

this energy?  Do you have a schematic available or a more thorough description
of the circuit?
Thanks,
John
John,  here is a link to the circuit

diagram...http://www.flickr.com/photos/29248051@N02/6128920446/in/photostream

     It is fired in much the same way as a VTTC in staccato mode with an

SCR in the cathode circuit.   Once it is triggered the charging

transformer has to be turned off on tell the capacitor discharges so the

SCR can turn off.   Then the charging transformer is turned back on and

after about half a second the SCR is triggered again.    One pulse per

second is the fastest rate I can do so far.

Roger

John, No I haven't tried looking at it with a scope yet but I might try it some time. The only thing that might prevent it from ramping up nicely that I can think of would be if I had issues with the core of the choke saturating. One thing I would like to do is find a way to get it to ramp down a lot faster once it reaches its peak. It takes about a half second before the SCR resets and I can start charging the capacitor again. I think most of the pulse happens in about a tenth of a second or less.

Roger