[TCML] Capacitive Discharge Pulse Mode with my VTTC

The holy grail for many people who build tube coils is to get those nice sword like sparks and there are several people on this mailing list who have found some creative ways of getting them by pulsing the plate voltage in just the right way to get the best spark growth . I have recently been experimenting with a rather low tech way of doing it with my 3cx10000a3 tube coil. I use a SCR in the cathode circuit to start the pulse like you would do running in staccato mode and I charge up a big capacitor capacitor in the plate circuit and I have a big iron core choke between the capacitor and the plate of the tube. When the capacitor is charged the SCR is triggered and the capacitor discharges though the choke and drives the tube coil for some fraction of a second.

Currently my capacitance is 7uf and the choke is 6 Henrys and I'm charging the capacitor to about 20,000 volts. The sparks I'm getting are much more sword like than what I get in other modes and they are up to 50" long ( longer than what I get running staccato mode). Here is a link to a video .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxIEz_Q_hmo

Also, here is a link to a time exposure of the coil running in pulse mode... http://www.flickr.com/photos/29248051@N02/6104333777/in/photostream

Roger