Re: [TCML] telecoms protection gas discharge tube

I'm not sure about those particular tubes but a while back I used some Victoreen 'tubes' in a small TC powered by a bug zapper transformer and later by a 2700 volt 20 ma NST. Capacitance was 0.004 ufd total. They worked fine and didn't overheat but the ones I had were 2500 volts which was low and two in series at 5000 volts would have been too high. One beauty of the idea was that, at least at these low powers, the gap was almost silent. I later replaced them with a cylinder gap which I could set for higher breakdown voltage but it is a lot noisier and I have to clean it regularly.

Gary Lau wrote:

If you're suggesting using these in a main static spark gap, I think this
would be a poor choice.  These tubes weren't designed to support the high
currents needed in a TC spark gap, and the tubes would fail in short order.
They were designed to shunt occasional, infrequent transients, not
continuous multi-hundred Amp currents.

With spark gaps, each gap presents a fixed on-voltage, and this represents
a loss equal to Von*Igap.  Since so many would be needed in series to
achieve a useful breakdown voltage, the losses would be very high.  This is
why I believe single segment (i.e. sucker) gaps to be superior to
multi-segment gaps.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA