RE: [TCML] MMC Voltage

That is what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks, Jim!

-----Original Message-----
From: jimlux [mailto:jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:00 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] MMC Voltage

On 3/14/11 2:02 PM, John Paul Gripp wrote:
> I am in the process of building an MMC for a 15kV NST Coil and was
> wondering how many 942C20P15K-C caps I should use in series.
> According to my research, it seems I will need 2 or 3 times peak for my
total voltage.

Not necessarily.. some of the recommendations are rolling in the rms to peak
conversion (e.g. a 15kV NST puts out >20kV peak) and some allowance for
resonant rise (if you choose the "wrong" value for the capacitance.

   If
> this is true, am looking at 22-32 caps in each string.  Considering
> the 942C series can theoretically handle much more than the 2kV rated
> level, is it really necessary to use this many caps in each string?  What
issues should I
> expect if I do not and how likely would they be to occur?   Any suggestion
> for a min number of caps in series?

10 caps rated at 2kV should be fine for a 15kV NST.  Yes, you're running a
bit on the ragged edge, but you're probably ok.  11 caps would be nominally
22kV...