Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Wanted: 12KV 60mA NST

just an fyi for all you experimenters out there,
I don't know how it is in other states, but here in PA it is now apparently illegal for neon shop owners to sell the non-GFI units. The only thing that the neon guy could do it recommend an outdoor type that the GFI was easy to remove. (it was really easy to do for the record)

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 8:42:37 PM

Christopher Karr wrote:
Good day, all.

I'm looking for a 12KV 60mA NST which is to be the supply for a coil
a friend of mine and I are working on.

One thing you can try is calling sign shops. Get on the phone and call
every one you can, asking them politely if they have any used neon
transformers they would be willing to sell you. Even if you can only get
30mA units (most likely), do that, and if you end up with two of them, you
can run the outputs in parallel.

When I did this years ago I ended up with a 15kV/60mA unit with a dented
case. It was old and ugly, but it worked, and I later modified it to get
120mA from the unit.

Jon