Re: [TCML] ***** My real tip for all coilers *****

On 6/3/11 6:45 PM, Peter Terren wrote:
***** My real tip for all coilers *****

Everyone wants the biggest sparks - right?
My opinion: Don't think of a TC as just an exercise in getting the
longest sparks.
My longest spark photo on my home page is about the 43rd photo/video
down because it doesn't matter.

Spend money on a better camera/video/flash/tripod. Do something
different, take some fabulous photos.
Google "Tesla coil" images. I currently have 20 of the top 100 photos
there. As it happens my longest sparks picture is about number 100.
Many are of sparks or streamers are only 1-3 feet long but in the
context of an Xmas tree or car thief protection or sparks in a pool that
is fine.
All of my techniques are easily reproducible and were trivial compared
with the original construction of the coil.
After years, I have still not seen a decent rotating breakout picture
done by anyone else.

When my daughter's group did a Tesla project for high school physics class, Peter's pictures with the rotating breakout point (the "car thief protection, in particular") were extremely popular.

More so than my daughter's explanation of how the coil works, that's for sure, and much more than me running a small 15/30 coil outside in the daylight.. loud, but sparks are almost invisible.

And much more so than a bunch of unsubstantiated claims for reduction of joint pain by being shocked by a tesla coil (I have no idea where they found that stuff, and had to struggle to keep my mouth shut during the presentation... I was there to run the coil afterwards, not comment on the presentation)