Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] 3 Phase Power

On 5/31/11 6:24 PM, Cole Awesome-Jordan wrote:
If one had a coil set up to run off 60Hz power would one need to make
changes to make it work on 60Hz 3 phase power?

Than

no. You'll just be running off one of the phases. What voltage is your coil set up for?

How is your 3 phase power provided? two popular ways in the US are: 208/120Y - called Wye or Star: it has an explicit neutral. the phase to phase voltage is 208V and the phase to neutral voltage is 120V. Your 120V coil will run from one of the phases to neutral.

240 delta - 240V between phases, no neutral. you'll either need a step down from 240 to 120, or if you've got a system where there's a neutral on the midpoint of one of the phases, then you you run your 120V load from phase to neutral.

If you're running a pole pig system, then you'll probably just run it off the 240V.