From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 01 June 2011 04:17
To: tesla list
Subject: [TCML] DC tesla coil

So i have built a couple regular coils and now i would like to try my hand at a DC coil.
I have a two 12kv 60ma NST's or one 15kv potential transformer that i would like to use.

My question is in regard to the large inductor that would be on the secondary side of the HV power supply.

D oes anyone have a good design for the inductor used in a DC coil arrangement? What wire gauge to use? Do I need an iron core (i have a 1KVA core available) or is an air core fine? etc...

I am guessing that larger capacitor values are preferred on these setups, am i right on this?
And what are the typical required values for a deQing diode?
Is the use of a terry filter still recommended?

Thanks for the help,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off you hands."