RE: [TCML] DC coils

Paul, as far as I know, the idea is original.  I have never heard of others
doing it this way.  I just didn't like using large value charging reactors
in the regular DC setup.  Even with 4 MOT secondaries in series, and even
with core gaps, the reactor would saturate and the RSG would power arc when
the BPS got below 80-100 bps.  And I didn't like the idea of the power
supply undergoing the wicked impulses every time the RSG fired, especially
when it would power arc.  Meter needles can only take so many whacks when
they pin due to overcurrent!

Charging reactor size is determined by how much time you have to charge the
tank cap.  This is determined by the maximum velocity of your rotating gap
and your estimate of how long the gaps are close enough for a spark to jump
across.  I decided 400 bps was as fast as I wanted to go, and I assumed the
gap would jump for a quarter inch travel of the rotating electrode.  Knowing
the radius of the electrode, the presentation time was calculated.

As Richie's site explains, that presentation time is a half cycle of the
resonant frequency of your tank cap and your charging reactor.  Knowing the
value of your tank cap, you can calculate the value of your charging
reactor.

RSG has twelve tungsten electrodes perpendicular to and near the edge of the
insulating support disk. Radius is 5.5 inches.  Each stationary gap is a
pair of tungsten, one on each side of the rotor, so that the rotor
electrodes pass between them.  Each of the two stationary gap pairs are
mounted so that when one rotor electrode is aligned between one stationary
pair, the other stationary pair is half way between other rotor electrodes.

I don't have a website of photos and other data.  For those who are
seriously considering experimenting with this, I can send some spreadsheets
and other info that can give you some ideas.  And you can feel free to post
them on a website if you wish.

Steve Y.

  _____