Re: [TCML] run time

If your cap had a DC voltage rating of 17kV (your transformer's 12kV RMS
voltage rating x 1.414 to get the rated peak voltage), AND if your spark gap
was *properly* set to fire at the rated peak voltage of 17kV, your caps are
estimated to last at least 75 hours of continuous running.  The 75 hour
figure was derived by former TCML moderator Terry Fritz in an experiment
runing caps at their rated DC voltage.  Since your cap's voltage rating is
actually 20kV and significantly higher than the 17kV figure, the cap will
last a great deal longer than 75 hours.  Just heed the requirement to
properly set the gap width, and resist the temptation to open it further.

I personally believe the advice suggesting the need to use a Variac is maybe
overstated.  I use a Variac, mostly because it allows me to apply 140V to
the NST, and this yields a very significant increase in performance over
120V.  Using a static gap, I don't think there's a strong reason to require
a Variac for tuning purposes.  Just keep the run times as short as possible
(seconds) when experimenting with the tuning, to minimize damage caused by
racing sparks, should that be happening.  Also, miss-spelling your coil
significantly raises the risk of flux vortices, so spell-checkers are
recommended.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA