RE: [TCML] Why don't big Tesla coils use helical primaries?

I use helical primaries. They work fine. There may be less efficiency,
but I can't complain about the performance.
You can use coaxial cable in lieu of the copper pipe. Make your
connections to the ground sheath. Utilizing this method you can actually
have the windings touch and have a much tighter spiral, but its probably
advisable to put some space in between them.
I usually build helical primaries around pvc formers that are at least
two inches wider (on each side) that the secondary former. I use heavy
monster cable for the wiring and wind it tight..coil to coil. Makes for
super easy tuning. Connect the base and for the other connection I
solder a map tack to the end of the other wire coming from the primary
circuit and push this tack in (push it in deep and at an angle so that
at least 1/2" of the tack is embedded into the wire) at the point where
I'm guessing the coil will be in tune.
Power it up and see what you get. Go up one winding, poke in the wire
and try again. If the performance is worse, go back down one winding
below the first one and see if its better than the first. If so go down
one more and see if its better yet. If not go half way between the last
and the first poke, and so on until you get it perfect. Then, when you
find the sweet spot, cut off some of the insulation and solder the wire
to that point.
Go with your intuition, you'll figure it out.