From: Miles Mauldin <teslamiles@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, September 15, 2010 7:32:06 PM
Subject: New Sucker Gap

Hi All,
I have an observation and a question for you all.  I rigged up a dummy load
using the Halogen lamps to test my primary circuit and the right cap size.  The
load works great and provides a visual aspect to power levels, however, I have a
couple of issues.  Neither my light level meter nor my digital camera work when
the primary is energized. Bummer.  I did setup a dark box for measuring the
light at different power input levels (lamps on top, meter looking up, with
ventilation).  Meter reads zero, but as soon as I start raising power, before
the gap fires, it reads 57 Lumens.  Yet it is stable when directly connected to
the variac.
I do have my fav 35mm that I used to photo my new sucker gap, albeit really old
film that I happen to have on hand.

My observation is that my digital stuff doesn’t work when the primary circuit is
active.
My question is; I am a bit disappointed how the sucker gap appears when firing.
Should I expect more?

Looking at others photos it appears the gap is very bright.  Maybe that is
because the photos are at dusk, or night. But I would have thought I would have
more than a single or dual spark in the gap.  AM I wrong?
http://www.cmnow.com/TeslaMan/Sucker/tn12.htm
Thanks,
Miles