Re: [TCML] Toroid Shielding

By "electrostatic field control" Dr. Resonance means the electrostatic field has no points of concentration where the toroid and the secondary are joined. He is not saying that the electrostatic field is controlling or moving the streamers once they are initiated.

So why are there no points of electric field concentration near the top of the secondary coil?

The large, smooth, conducting surface of the toroid creates an equipotential volume at the top of the secondary. So the very top of the secondary coil and the immediately surrounding air are at similar potential(voltage). The electrostatic stress between the top of the coil and the air immediately surrounding it is therefore reduced (controlled). This reduces the chance of breakdown occurring at the top of the secondary.

It is useful to think of electrical potential (voltage) as a contour map, the contour lines being equipotential lines though not equiheight (altitude) lines as on maps.

The streamers are not pushed or deflected at all, they simply do not originate from the area connecting the top of the secondary to the toroid because this is a low electrical stress area. The streamers originate from the area with the greatest electrical
stress. Returning to the analogy with the contour maps, this would be the area on the map with the steepest slope. The large toroid smooths the slope around the top of the secondary.

Break out points (sharp bumps or wires) on the toroid provide a point of increased electrical stress, i.e. a steeper slope.

/*If you are still reading and not bored by this stage*/

One example the electric field strength between two concentric circles as a function or the radius r of the smaller sphere

        Er = UR/r(R-r)

U = voltage/potential difference between the spheres
R = Radius of big outer sphere
r = radius of small inner sphere

You can see that as the inner radius becomes smaller the electric field strength at its surface increases. Increasing the inner spheres radius reduces/ controls the electric field strength.

/*And if you are still reading after all this*/

Look up "stress cone" for another example of electrostatic field control.

-Feanor