Re: [TCML] Corona Supression

Brandon Hendershot wrote:
Alright,
So is there anything like "corona dope" inexpensive enough to be applied and removed whenever I need to take things off the terminals? Does corona dope or glyptal need to under vacuum to be applied?
Thanks Guys,
Brandon

tons of stuff available. If you want it easily removable, then something like lacquer or model airplane glue would work. Maybe thin the glue wiht some solvent first, so it's nice and runny. I haven't tried it, but I'll bet that airplane "dope" would work pretty well.

No, they don't need to be under vacuum.

But bear in mind that this is just to fix "sort of on the edge" corona. If you've got 50kV on a needle point, no amount of corona dope is going to fix it.

The ideal thing for hobby applications (although I've not seen it), would be some sort of semiconductive putty. Think of plasticine loaded with carbon black or something... home made play-doh might work.. it's got salt in it, so it's probably somewhat conductive.