Re: [TCML] Why 1000 Turns?

Another thing to note Tom, is that from what I've read of the Colorado springs notes, is that Tesla himself had secondaries of only a hundred or so turns (really huge diameters for vary large inductance.) I think a legitimate reason behind the 1000-1500 turn rule is that we can then use a primary capacitance that is near or larger than resonate value of the input frequency (LTR.) This means more power. Using less turns would drive the primary inductance below one turn for such capacitances unless your topload capacitance was significantly reduced, so either way you are looking at less spark length. More turns is obnoxious to wind, and would require primary capacitances too large to get any advantage from primary resonate rise (a practice not advised with NSTs) or too many turns on the primaries, once again this is correctable by using even huge-er top load capacitances (obnoxiously big.) All these things summed up is why the rule exists, that said my first coil had only 480 turns, and also only about 1/3 the arc length it should have, due to a small primary capacitance to keep it in tune with a decent sized primary coil (it had other issues as well being my first attempt, but such is life...)

Scott Bogard.

Thomas Schmit wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering how the 1000 turn rule of thumb was developed. Is this a purely "practical" consideration - i.e. larger number of turns results in corona discharge and insulation failure at the top of the secondary or is there a theoretical reason behind it? Or something else entirely?

Thanks,

Tom Schmit