Re: [TCML] 3-500Z tube coil project

Jason,

My old 3-500Z VTTC was very poorly designed.  I could only turn
up the power in short bursts.  I don't think I have the specs, but they're
no good anyway.  It was before the time of MOT VTTC voltage doublers (level-shifters),
etc.

I didn't find the coupling to be all that critical in VTTC's, but whenever
I changed the coupling, then i had to re-tune.  Some VTTC designs are
very tricky to optimize, but others seem to tune up more easily.
Because there are so many things to adjust, and the adjustments
can interact, it can take some time to get it all working right.  Tuning
can be much different than expected, probably due to splitting of
frequencies or other factors which I can't seem to remember at the moment,
(of course spark loading is a factor as in spark gap TC's).

I always make the grid coil a sliding fit on the primary form, so I can slide
it higher or lower for best results.  Some folks use a very high grid coil
position of 3 or 4" above the primary, but I never obtained good results
that way.  I haven't really explored this all that much.

I wasn't aware of the 10kV operation capability, etc., I'm not familiar with it.
I assume it might need fast pulses to help the tube to survive.... not sure.

Thanks for the nice comments about my work.  In this case I'm not able to
help all that much.  It will be an interesting project.

Cheers,
John