RE: [TCML] IGBT paralleling

OK I see what you guys are talking about, I guess it helps to read all the
posts before adding anyting, as long as the IGBT's are kept withing spec
there should be no problem, I have used the TO247 style with pretty good
results with 120V Vac RMS into a doubler and they have no problem, the TO220
style I have not used. I do know for sure is thay you need some pretty beefy
rectifiers as I have taken several of those out when trying to use the TO220
style cases, they just give up the ghost in a really pretty flash and a few
flames :) even when I slowly ramped up the voltage the smaller TO220 case
rectifiers could not deliver, however I have not cooked one TO247 style. The
longest I let the coil run is around 10 minutes or so but everything is
still in great shape.

The IGBT's are of the TO247 case style as well, I have never seen these
particular IGBT's as ever being used in a tesla appication so I was not
really sure what to expect my orignal thoughts were they would not do well
but they have done suprising well and I get around 35 to 36 inches of spark
when run with 120Vac and a doubler Circuit.

Some ringing in the intial design caused one of them to burn out but after
the ringing was eliminated they have been performing really well over the
last year or so.

Each has its own heat sink and I do have a fan on them but I am not sure if
the fan is needed or not I have not checked the operating temperature on
them but after running for around 10 or 15 minutes they feel warm but not
hot. The best thing about them is they are cheap around $3 or $4 a piece.

I do have pictures if anyone wants to to see them I can post them I have
pics of the coil running so you can see the distance I am getting, nice
bright white sparks, I have not run this coil outside so I am not sure what
max spark length is But I think around 3 feet is going to be the limits on
this design.