RE: [TCML] Is my 10" Tesla Coil Illegal ?

Hi Gary,

I use a double 6 foot rod spaced 8 feet (maybe the platting is corroded?),
have a recess holes, and soak the rods before hand. Richard Quick used to
recommend 3 rods. Salt is good. There is a center tap of 3/4" copper pipe
adjoining the rods. I use 3 inch flat copper rolled and soldered to the
copper pipe center and run directly to the coil base near by. This is a lot
of "surface area" of connection conductor. I can run 7500Va close to the
house with a bigger top load and my garage door is cool and I can run a PC
on an EMI filter and see no interference of a cable and formerly satellite
TV as a test.

Speaking of EMI, are you using an overkill EMI filter, say three phase, on
the power feed? Are you close to phone or power cables? Something is
seemingly amiss.
Perhaps the Hamm style counterpoise of spoke wire would help?

Jim Mora

I would like to know the perceived problem here as it potentially affects us
all and I am about to run a 12" @ 10KVA with a 70' wide back yard in an old
neighborhood with one cranky neighbor.