[TCML] Toroid height, What's best

I don't know that there is any set in stone recommendation for how high above the secondary the toroid needs to go, other than fairly close.   If you have your setup such that you can increase/decrease the height, you can experiment.    If you are not getting arcing out of the secondary top coil, then you are doing well.  Some people put the toroid higher up and put a choke style smaller torroid close to the top winding.

BTW my garage is very cold right now, and outside my ground wire/stakes covered in snow, and I seem to get better sparks from my TC than when it is warmer.  ;)