RE: [TCML] Spark gap for first TC

 jimlux wrote:

> Almost anything will "work".
> I like a gap made of three pieces of 3/4" or 1" diameter copper pipe
> about 2" long arranged with the long axes parallel.  So you effectively
> have 2 long skinny gaps in series.  You have a small fan blow air
> through the pipes (along the axis of the pipe.  If you arrange them in a
> sort of squashed triangle, you can permanently mount the two end ones,
> and adjustments only need to move the middle one.
>
> The other easy gap that works fairly well is a couple of copper pipe
> caps facing each other, with a shop vac blowing between them.
>
> You could even do the two bolts thing, but I've found that the bolt is
> so small  (even if you use carriage bolts and the gap is the head of the
> bolt) the spark always goes from exactly the same spot on the electrode
> and you get a hotspot.  Once you get that glowing hot spot, the gap
> characteristics change (it breaks down more easily), and the output of
> your coil drops.

The first gap you mention, when I use the long side of the copper
tubes facing each other, how do you mean it would be (like a squashed
triangle)?

I'm probably going to start with the "two bolt thing" because of the
time limit. If I have time left, I'll try another spark gap, like the one
you mentioned or the classic RQSG (I believe it's called)

Thanks for the answers!