Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Question

Oh, I'm sorry. I totally told you the wrong thing. I don't know what I was thinking!
Brandon

On Feb 20, 2010, at 5:06 PM, "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx> wrote:

You cannot change the order of the components. An R-C low-pass filter only works if it's built to the correct topology - it only works in one direction.

Sorry,
Gary Lau
MA, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of otmaskin5@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:50 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Terry Filter Question

The circuit diagrams for NST protection that I have seen have the components in
this order:

NST hot...to MOVs & bypass capacitors...to the 1K Ohm resistor (in series)...to the
main spark gap

My question is whether the placement of the resistor is critical within the order of the components. In other words, would the components work in this order:

NST hot...to 1K Ohm resistor (in series)...to MOVs & bypass caps...to the main
spark gap.

The current project I'm working on has space limitations & a less that optimal layout of the lower deck components (poor planning on my part - doh!). The second option would allow for more direct layout of the primary circuit wiring and save me some work in the process. I'd appreciate any advice as to whether this would work
properly.

Thanks, Dennis Hopkinton MA