Re: [TCML] Secondary Coil Capacitating

I think David Hull used an electrometer to investigate this phenomenon, which I suspect most of us have experienced.jimlux wrote. Rectification because of unequal electrode geometry seems the most probable cause and is easy to observe. Simplest is with a disruptive 'spark coil' where a capacitor can be charged if a spark gap is inserted in one side of the circuit. The secondary voltage has peaks which are quite asymmetrical which accentuate the effect. There have been many gaseous rectifiers built [the original Raytheon was one of the pioneers back in the 1920's] which use an unequal electrode geometry, usually rods and plates, in a gas like helium.

Ed

Brandon Hendershot wrote:

Hi All,
I was running my coil tonight, something happened underneath the coil I wanted to check out, so I went to move the secondary, and it was shocked me. Nothing brutal, just a carpet spark, but it had been off for several minutes. Why (How?) is it storing electricity? Is it between the topload and counterpoise?

this is a pretty common phenomenon. I don't know that there's a provably correct explanation of why it happens, but one guess is that charge accumulates on the surface of the secondary (which is a nice insulator). The question would be that since the sparks and coil are AC, why would one polarity preferentially accumulate. However, it's well known that corona discharges have a polarity preference, so there are mechanisms that could account for it.

If you hunt through the archives, (I'm not sure what you'd use as a search string) you'll find discussions of it. Probably 3 or 4 years ago at least.

Thanks guys,

Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx