[TCML] Pulsed Royer SSTC at 390 Vdc in

Hi

I had the idea of using a pulsed SSTC to get some hot VTTC- like discharges. This means high ON time at a low pulse rate. I have not bricks, only some weak discrete IGBTs (BUP314), so I have chosen the Royer setup because of some reasons. First is the parallel LC primary circuit, which is very similar with a VTTC tank. It will allow a resonant rise like in the VTTC circuits. Second is the place of the IGBTs, away from the resonant currents seen by the LC tank (they are only 50 A IGBTs). With a bit of luck I will have some nice discharges as seen from my GU5b VTTC. The frequency is quite low, around 76 kHz, so probably the sparks will be branched, but is good enough.

I reanimated my old Royer SSTC and gave it a try with 140 Vac input, half rectified, before modifying it.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=teslina#p/u/1/6h2IwrC3zFs

The pulser is the well known Freau-Ward staccato, on the common source of the IGBTs. To get a higher ON time I used a doubler with a 2200 microF @ 400 V polarised cap, so the setup will be feed with a 20 msec pulsed DC voltage. At low staccato rates, the setup can be feed with up to 140 Vac input, that means 394.8 Vdc. More than 175 Vac input will fry the IGBTs (been there, done that).

This is the schema of the experiment:

http://img221.imageshack.us/f/pulsedrsstc.jpg/

Pulsed Royer with 140 Vac (394.8 Vdc) input:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=teslina#p/u/0/3wpaHAw3EIg

It was a nice coiling day, hope to have more…

vasil