Re: [TCML] Racing sparks - question

Joe Mastroianni wrote:

HI Bert,

I can't thank you enough for the detailed explanation.
After I wrote the note to you I went back to a couple books - and I think your explanation as a modulation makes the most sense to me.  Heterodyne  2 signals, get sum and difference as well as the two original ones.  If the k is high you get this sum/difference generation, low k, the detuned primary can happily coexist at it's own freq - not that the sum and differences aren't happening, they're just very suppressed.

Makes sense, absolutely.

Your explanation is actually one of the clearest I have read.  Worth saving and rereading.

Thanks so much,
Joe

Classical transient analysis techniques yield an exact solution except that they can't include the effects of variable and nonlinear streamer loading or the variable resistance of the spark gap with time. Early examples of such treatment of lossless and lossy coupled double tuned circuits go back to Drude in 1905 and probably earlier. The critical coupling for the generation of the 'double frequency' response depends on circuit losses but for lossless circuits it's there for all values of coupling. As the coupling increases the two frquencies move farther above and below the resonant frequency. When the spark gap goes out the secondary rings down at its natural frequency. The optimum time for extinction is when all of the energy in the primary capacitor has been transferred to the secondary and the current and voltage go through zero at the same time.

Antonio's solutions allow for exact design of very complex circuits compared to the classic double-tuned TC.

Ed