Re: [TCML] Re: Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation

Hi John,

I was specifically targeting static gaps in this experiment.  All of the
advice and tables used today to choose a cap based on NST ratings have been
based on simulations, and now it seems there's a relatively (Ha!) simple
means of testing power throughput over a wide range of cap and mains values,
so I felt it was time to validate or revise the tables.

Yes, a sync gap would result in a much more stable power throughput.  I'm
amazed at how chaotic the light output is with the static gap, even
considering the long thermal time constant of the filament.  The low
frequency component is low enough to make even analog meter movements
useless.

Regards, Gary