Re: [TCML] Ground Rod Data

Dear all,

I do not at all want to question the experts opinion, that I respect highly
(Gary Lau).
Here are only the observations I made when experimenting with my coils :

--Forgotten to connect RF ground wire to the base of the secondary:
violent arcing over between bottom of secondary coil and primary coil.
RF ground connected: No more flash overs.

--Poor RF ground (Long cable to ground rod, only one short ground rod) :
Race sparks along the secondary.
RF ground improved (Closer to coil, shorter cable, 4 long rods spaced in the
ground) :
No more race sparks (without altering, reducing coupling !)

--Dry ground in aera of ground rods :
Reduced streamer length.
Aera around the 4 ground rods watered intense :
Considerabely longer streamers.

Fazit: Above 3 RF ground issues had a VERY CLEAR effect on coil function and
performance.

Nothing to do with RF ground quality,
but to my experience also with some influence to coil function - spark
performance :

--Climate conditions. Air temperature, humidity, air pressure.
When experimenting in the kitchen (I am divorced ...)
in winter, room temperature 22°C, dry air, air in room ozon loaden,
and I opened all windows to get fresh air in, ozone out,
temperature outside aprox. zero, freezing,
spark performance dropped considerably.
Is ozone beside temperature, humidity, pressure the main influence factor,
if coiling in room ?  (goverment lady absent)

--Main gap electrodes (7 copper tubes) oxidized from long service, spark
performance dropped.
Oxyde polished away: Spark performance restored.

--Race sparks, for now without obvious reason. A month ago, last runs, no
such problem.
Secondary coil was found very dusty. Coil cleaned, problem solved.

--"Bad day?" of my coil: It happenes that for unknewn, unclear reasons
"she" performs sometimes a bit less then usually.
Without any corrective action, a other day "she" is again performing well
(Are Tesla coils female ...?)

Kind regards,
Fritz Egli