Re: [TCML] Would a Tesla coil work in a vaccum?

Brian Hall wrote:

As we know a Tesla coil is 'air cored', so what if the entire
secondary and primary were enclosed in a vaccum chamber?  I imagine
the toroid could sit atop and outside of the vaccum chamber, and the
HV supply, spark gap and C1 could also be outside the vaccum - wires
through the chamber walls sealed up nice and tight.

With no air for a 'core' would there still be streamers off the
toroid, same length and brightness as there would be for the same
coil if it was without the vaccum chamber?

yes.. it wouldn't make any difference in performance. the magnetic field from the primary couples with the secondary just fine whether there is air there or not.