RE: [TCML] How Important is Location?

To make the mechanical adjustment is easy.  The thing that's difficult is to know when the adjustment is right.  If one was trying to determine if longer sparks result from operating at a higher altitude, it would be crucial to have the gap adjusted to the identical breakdown voltage.  The method that is (or should be) used to set the gap width is to have it just start to arc when only the NST is connected to the gap.  But performance will always improve with increasing gap width and breakdown voltage, and I suspect that setting the gap 10 times would result in 10 different breakdown voltages.  This is OK for just setting up a coil, but to definitively answer if a coil makes bigger sparks at high altitudes, careful measurement is needed.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA