Re: [TCML] SSTC PlasmaSonic Board HELP!!!

Uour probably should get some help from a local elec. engr, or an EE
student.  You will be working with IGBTs that are driven by a "driver board"
that generates a timing signal to turn the IGBTs off and on at specific time
intervals.  If you don't carefully phase the driver signals you end up
switching the IGBTs into a dead short which can blow them in short order.

Driver boards typically use a 555 timer or TL294 IC to produce the timing
signals.

Other boards include the rectifier board, usually 400 Volt 60 Amp heavy duty
rectifiers, and a cap bank (sometimes in voltage doubler configuration).

You will definitely need help, and a good oscilloscope and someone who knows
how to use it well.  Phasing takes both knowledge and patience.

Dan has published the schematics in his book, however, there are some minor
discrepancies, and they will not work as published.  Dan's book you should
have --- it's a good introduction to DRSSTC work and discusses each section
in great detail.

I also make a DRSSTC system running a voltage line doubler (335 VDC) which
produces a solid 6 ft spark from a 9" OD x 52" winding length coil (25
AWG).  I expect to have boards finished, populated, and available after
Christmas.  IGBTs are the PowerEx series CM300 dual modules.  Line draw is
14 Amps at 120 vac.

Dr. Resonance

Dr. Resonance