Re: [TCML] welder for a ballast........

Hi Dave,

Most lighter duty arc welders are only rated for like a
20% duty cycle, which means that for every 1 minute
of operation (at maximum power throughput), it will
need to "cool off" for 4 minutes, and I'm assuming
that is with the inboard cooling fan blowing on it.
Driving a JL places a very heavy load upon the
welder transformer, actually more than drivng a
Tesla coil. So, how ever quickly it heats up while
running the JL, it will probably be less pronounced
while powering a Tesla coil, depending of course
upon such coil charateristics as the primary C size,
BPS, and power transformer size/rating. Bottom line
is you probably could end up destroying your welder
if you continue to run it "unbridled" as you describe.
Your suggestion of two paralleled arc welders, with
each of their current selectors set at ~50% could be
a viable solution although that will likely only increase
the duty cycle for both of them to 40%. Or, you could
just turn your current selestor knob down to a lower
level that doesn't yield near as much heating of the
transformer assembly (yea, I know, not as good of a
solution as the 2 paralleled welders) ...  ;^/

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>