[TCML] Discharge capacitor wiring/CB safety note

HI Bamacoiler/Bert

I agree with Bert, I have a capacitor bank based on 16 x 2400uF @ 450V arranged as 8 in series
X 2 banks in parallel. They are buses together with aluminum plate (16 gauge), with anti-ox
on all fasteners and electrical interfaces. At 3.6kV ~ 4kJ which would be quite sufficient to
shrink a can. I haven't measured discharge currents (yet) but based on bulk resistance of
AL bus bars and internal impedance of capacitors, peak current into a 0 ohm load is modeled
at ~ 25kA.

I have discharged into a Square D single pole 120/240V15A breaker as a reality check. At 3kV capacitor
charge voltage remained constant when CB was open (CB was not breaking down). When closed
and C discharged, CB successfully isolated power path 3 times; however, plasma was observed
exiting near the load terminals of the CB and about 1.5kV remained on the capacitor bank!
Square D QO series CB's have an maximum fault current interrupting rating of 10kA .

Flame and plasma exiting anywhere around the CB case would have caused UL failure on CB at that
current application level, so discharge current is probably significantly higher then 10kA.

LIST SAFETY NOTICE:
Molded case circuit breakers as used in residential applications are rated to interrupt fault
currents <10kA ONLY ONCE! They may and can fail catastrophically with another short circuit
application! The above test was performed to determine a gross magnitude of available
discharge currents. Molded case POWER circuit breakers (bolt-in) generally are more robust
and can withstand several (<10) fault applications without failure. Any fault current applied to a
CB that is higher then the CB's withstand rating can result in a catastrophic failure or CB
explosion. A good rule of thumb is if the CB has tripped, determine what caused the fault
and correct; then replace the CB. A CB is cheaper then replacing your house!

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA