From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of BunnyKiller
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:23 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] measuring frequencies and high voltages

Hey Rhys...

If you built the pulse generator correctly... then it should be creating
pulses...  the eye can detect up to about 50 Hz light pulses ( altho
some can see flickering at 72 Hz...) an option is to attach a speaker to
a low voltage output ( about 3-40 volts depending on speaker size... but
remember the speaker has on avg. an 8 ohm resistance  Ive seen some as
low as 4 ohms)  this should be good to about 18-20 KHz or so ( if your
hearing is good to excellent)...

As far as measuring hi voltages with a standard meter, this takes some
engineering...  (or purchasing a hi volt meter lead) add an additional
100 meg resistor to the lead and multiply the voltage on the meter by
approximately 100...  ( this works for MY meter... not a gaurintee that
it works far all meters...  depends on what value of resistor is
incorporated in the meter originally).

BTW... from reading the thread of your project,  seems like you should
have gone towards a laser flash tube type of design...   Check out SAMS
LASER SITE  for mega amounts of info on schematic, info, and everything
you want to know about flash tubes, diodes, what ever ...  the site is
FULL of all sorts of photo/optic/electronic info...

Scot D

Rhys Sage wrote:

>I've built my DC pulse generator. I have a nice green LED coming off it. My
big question now is, how do I know if it is a pulsed or constant signal? I
don't have an oscilloscope and only a very basic meter.